Thursday, August 30, 2012

A taste of Italy

One of the most exciting adventures I had this summer was almost taking a spontaneous roadtrip to Italy... notice I say almost... It was very close, but, it was something I suppose was too good to be true to really happen. Typical. But, we ended up going to Czech Republic instead, and that was fair enough for me :)
Anyho, I got inspired to grow some pesto at home. Did I just say grow pesto at home.. I guess it kind of feels like that when most of what I used was loads of my fresh homegrown (on our patio :) ) basil... everything else I added to the recipe just pales in comparison! 
For someone who has never made their own homemade pesto before, *blush*, it turned out to be quite easy and extremely tasty! We ended up using it over spaghetti and took it with us on our trip that we left for the next day. Though it wasn't warm (which I'm sure would have been good too),  it was a nice treat in the car instead of sandwiches..

So you are wondering what ingredients I used?
Now, I'm not going to give you exact amounts - I'm sure you all are adventurous enough to guess about how much it should be! :)
So here goes:
  • Fresh organic basil
  • Garlic clove(s) 
  • Virgin olive oil
  • Dry-roasted pine nuts
  • Parmazano (it's a type of vegan parmesan - any type of parmesan replacement should work)
  • Salt
Mix everything together in a food processor, and voilà - you have homemade pesto!
Enjoy to your heart's content :)
DSC_0107.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Substituting roasted almonds for the pine nuts also works amazingly, too, and it's a lot cheaper if you need it! :-) Glad to hear you're growing basil. I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete